Open auditions for FIRST DATE
Monday, February 18 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m….
Book by Austin Winsberg
Music and Lyrics by Alan Zachary & Michael Weiner
Directed by Christy Holy, Musical Direction by Steven Humphrey
Ongoing auditions will be held on Monday, February 18th from 6:00 – 8:00 PM in the OTA Gathering Hall (414 N Sequim Ave, Sequim). for the April/May 2019 production of First Date (The Musical). Call back auditions may be scheduled if required. An accompanist will be provided, but candidates may bring their own. Be prepared to present 16 bars from a Broadway song that represents the style of the show and your vocal style/range. Candidates will also be asked to perform cold readings from the script.
First Date had its world premiere in 2012 at Seattle’s ACT Theatre. The following year, it moved to Broadway. The action is comedic and takes place in a fashionable downtown bistro in a trendy city where Casey and Aaron have been thrown together on a blind date. Coming from different backgrounds and carrying radically different emotional baggage, the evening is a near guaranteed disaster. And yet, through a combination of inner character and external events, the evening just might end with the couple experiencing their first mature, adult romantic adventure.
The music is a pastiche of styles, presented through a Broadway rock and roll beat. The vocal style is largely Broadway belt, with some ballad thrown in. In addition to the two leads, there are five cast members who play a range of roles. Most of these roles take place inside the heads of Casey and Aaron. It is largely an ensemble show and requires solid vocal technique. The character breakdown is as follows:
- Casey: late 20s to early 30s female, hip and edgy [mezzo]
- Aaron: late 20s to early 30s male, clean cut and maybe a bit nerdish [tenor]
- Man #1 (Gabe/YouTube/Stoner Guy) 30ish [high voice with pop falsetto]
- Woman #1 (Grandma Ida / Lauren / Facebook / Female with Megaphone #2 / Aaron’s Mother) 40ish maybe but playing a range of ages [mezzo]
- Man #2 (Reggie / Aaron’s Future Son / Instagram / British Artist) mid 20s – mid 30s. Reggie is not in the daters’ heads and is a late 20s over-stressed gay man. [high voice with pop falsetto]
- Woman #2 (Allison / Google Girl / Female with Megaphone #1) 30ish [mezzo]
- Man #3 (Waiter / Casey’s Christian Father / Blaze / Twitter / Friendly Therapist) 40ish, maybe even a little older. The Waiter (also not in daters’ heads) is a key character throughout the show, sort of a Vic Fontaine type vibe. [Baritone with pop falsetto]
For more information or to schedule an alternate audition date, contact the office at OTA: (360) 683-7326
Interested in auditioning? Take a look at the Main Stage Season and Second Stage Season for performance dates and descriptions of the shows.
For more information about auditions or other upcoming events, call the OTA office at (360) 683-7326.